The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation has announced its 2022 Inductees in the following categories:
Performer Category: artists who have created music whose originality, impact, and influence has changed the course of rock & roll.
- Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo
- Duran Duran
- Dolly Parton
- Carly Simon
- Lionel Richie – “Being elected to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is an incredible honor. I would like to say THANK YOU to all of the voters, to all of my wonderful fans and to everyone at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Congratulations to all of my fellow 2022 inductees!”
Duran Duran finished first in the Fan Vote followed in order by Eminem, Pat Benatar, Eurythmics and Dolly Parton.
Musical Excellence Award: given to artists, musicians, songwriters and producers whose originality and influence creating music have had a dramatic impact on music.
- Judas Priest – Les Binks, K. K. Downing, Rob Halford, Ian Hill, Dave Holland, Glenn Tipton, Scott Travis
Commenting on the induction, Judas Priest says, “We are thrilled and honored to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2022. This is also a great moment for British heavy metal, metal worldwide and our amazing fans who support us and keep flying the flag for metal and Judas Priest.”
- Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis – producers
Early Influence Award: artists whose music and performance style have directly influenced, inspired, and evolved rock & roll and music impacting youth culture.
- Harry Belafonte
- Elizabeth Cotten – late blues and jazz artist whose songs have been performed by Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Taj Mahal, and Peter, Paul and Mary, among many others.
Ahmet Ertegun Award: non-performing industry professionals who have had a major influence on the creative development and growth of rock & roll and music that has impacted youth culture.
- Allen Grubman – entertainment lawyer and a founder of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Among his clients are Bruce Springsteen, U2, Sting, John Mellencamp, Madonna, Lionel Richie, Elton John, and Lady Gaga.
- Jimmy Iovine – producer, label founder, entrepreneur, and digital music innovator.
- Sylvia Robinson – artist, songwriter, producer, record label owner, and CEO: the original hip-hop mogul.
To be eligible, artists are required to have released their first record 25 years prior to Induction. Eminem, Duran Duran, Dolly Parton, Lionel Richie, and Carly Simon were on the ballot for the first time. This is Eminem’s first year of eligibility. This is the first year in the Hall’s 37-year history that six female acts will be inducted in one class.
The 37th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Saturday, November 5th, 2022 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.
It will air at a later date on HBO and stream on HBO Max.
There were 17 nominees this year and those who failed to garner enough votes were:
- Dionne Warwick
- Kate Bush
- New York Dolls
- Fela Kuti
- Rage Against the Machine
- A Tribe Called Quest
Story Courtesy of Premiere Radio & Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Association